Are you a fan of ponchos? Did you wear one in the 70’s? (For those of you that are old enough.)
Can you guess which one is me?
If you guessed I’m the one in the middle wearing the poncho you are correct. The gal in the grey is a friend and my little sister, wearing the same pants as me, is three years my junior. I would be seven here and she is four.
My Grandma used to make most of our clothes when we were kids. She was very keen on pantsuits at the time. I am positive we had a matching button up top that went with these pants. My Grandma was very frugal and always used the same pattern and fabric for my sister and I. We were dressed like twins. It drove me nuts. I am sure my totally unique-unto-me personal style obsession dates back to having to dress like my sister when I was growing up.
It is possible that my Mom crocheted that poncho I’m wearing.
Flash forward some 43 years…SCARY!
Wearing A Poncho In Summer
I never thought about wearing a poncho in summer before I stumbled across this piece at my favourite consignment store. I wore this outfit on my surprise 50th birthday trip out to the theatre.
This is a very weird top. It is literally a massive rectangle with a hole in the middle for your head. What drew me to the piece was, of course, the amazing colours and soft watercolour floral pattern.
I’m wearing a black camisole underneath to avoid any wardrobe malfunctions.
I don’t think this is a figure flattering piece. I’m perilously close to floaty, oversized, I’m-just-covering-my-big-belly territory in this outfit.
I do love the pattern and the colours though so I’m willing to risk looking like I’m in my third trimester. I know that choosing heels instead of flats would have helped with this issue, but I needed to be able to walk comfortably all day. Keeping it real folks!
I’ve spotted some other ponchos for summer below. I’m a bit in love with that first crocheted one in beige though I think it would look awful on me.
Do you like ponchos? Have you ever worn one in summer?
And now…for your amusement : )
On another subject, my post, “Top Ten Stylish Comfortable Shoes For Mature Feet” was chosen by IFB to be featured in their Links à la Mode this week.
I found the post by Outfit Zest: Quitting Fashion very interesting.
Thank you IFB!
Links à la Mode, July 28
- The Antisocialista: Basically, Be Basic
- Boheme Royale: And You See Your Gypsy
- Couture Crush: Couture Crushin | Flower Lipstick Review
- Curls & Cakes: Fiery Red
- Dressing With Class: Outfit for Adventure
- Elements of Ellis: Printed Dress
- Everyday Starlet: The French Beauty Solution Review
- Goldwill Digger: Prim & Romper
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: What I Wore for an Evening with a Geisha
- I’m a Norbyah: The House of Folklore
- Layers of Chic: How to Dress Like Taylor Swift
- Lucy Van Dean: Sometimes You Get Lucky
- Middle of Somewhere: The Best Distressed Boyfriend Shorts & Weekly Linkup
- Ms. FABulous: NYFWM | Black Lives Matter | Making Street Style Count
- MsYoLee: Definition of SOAK for Fashions Sake
- Outfit Zest: Quitting Fashion
- Suzanne Carillo: Top Ten Comfortable Stylish Shoes for Mature Feet
- Tales of Two: Weekend Getaway to Nelson Bay
- The Wanderbliss: Aztec Adventure
- This Season’s Gold: The Event | Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Picks