Petite sizing is considered anything 5’4″ and below. I’m right at the cut-off point so I wear both regular and petite sizes.
When I came across this amazing full midi skirt in leather that annoying voice in my head said, “You’re too short to wear that!” My heart often ignores that voice and believes I’m a twenty year old 6′ model. My heart is delusional like that.
I couldn’t walk away from such a great piece that screams 1970’s for $12. It looks very similar to this one on sale for $2,994 reduced from $4,990!
Now I’m extra pumped I scored this skirt.
Added bonus…it has pockets!
I was determined to “make it work” with my not-so-lean-or-tall frame.
When I tried it on in the fitting room I stood up on my tippy toes. I knew I’d need to wear some kind of heels with it. A three inch leg doesn’t look good on anyone. Even Chihuahuas.
My Tips How To Wear A Midi Skirt When You Are Petite
1. Go for a high waisted skirt. It will elongate your legs.
2. Tuck in your shirt/top.
3. Wear heels. Even a one or two inch heel will be better than flats.
4. Wear boots. Ones that are a similar colour to the skirt will work even better. This avoids visually cutting the bottom half of your body.
5. Consider adjusting the hem a bit. Ideally it should hit at the thinnest part of your leg, just below the knees, or closer to the ankles.
6. Pair it with nude heels.
7. Wear it with tights and shoes that are the same colour so your leg line isn’t broken.
I toyed with the idea of cutting this about two inches shorter, so it would sit just below my knees, but I decided to wear it a bit before making the cut.
This might be more of an autumn look but our weather here has been wacky so last week it was perfect for leather and cashmere.
How do you feel about the look of midi skirts? Do you feel they shorten the body too much? Or is it just our perception after seeing so many short skirts for so many years?