I will preface this post by saying I have since taken up this skirt by an inch. I like it better now that it is right at my knees. I don’t have any photos of it yet though.
I bought this at an estate sale last year for $8. It is made in Bologna Italy and simply gorgeous. The way it is constructed is so unique. The closure is at the side pocket with buttons. I wasn’t too sure about the colour when I bought it, but now I love it.
I bought this Theory jacket at the same estate sale.
Here is one of the ways I’ve worn it …right after I bought it.
Wearing a full skirt like this isn’t always easy when you are petite. I’m wearing 2″ heels to compensate for my lack of legs.
Also taking up the hem by an inch has helped. I now have an added inch of leg that you can see since these shots were taken.
Keeping the sihlouette form fitting on the top balances out the fullness of the lower body with the skirt.
A little visual trickery with the jacket is helping me elongate my legs here. Can you guess what it is?
Notice that seam on the jacket right above the lower pockets? That is creating a visual waist about two inches above my real waist making my legs look longer. Tricky!
There is something very “old school” that I love about this type of skirt.
This is right up there with my top estate sale finds.
Tips – how to wear a full skirt when you are petite
1. Make sure the hem falls right above, at, or just below your knees.
2. Pair it with heels. Even a 1″ heel is better than a flat when you are petite. Wedges are comfy and add extra valuable inches to the vertically challenged.
3. Balance the fullness of the skirt with a fitted top, or jacket.
4. You can also add a belt to emphasize your waist creating more of an hourglass shape.
5. High waisted skirts will make your legs look longer.