2 2/3 c flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 tbsp ( 6 oz) butter from freezer or very cold butter
1/2 c sweetened shredded coconut
1 lg egg
1 c buttermilk
1/4 c whipping cream for brushing tops of scones
extra sugar for sprinkling
1. Place first 5 ingredients in food processor to mix.
2. Cut butter in small cubes and pulse into dry mixture in food processor until it resembles course crumbs.
3. Empty crumbs into large bowl and stir in coconut.
4. Mix egg and buttermilk together. Make a well in the crumb mixture and stir in buttermilk and egg.
5. Stir until dough just comes together. Do not over stir or over work the dough or the scones will become tough.
6. Place dough on floured surface, pat down to about 1" thickness and cut out with 3" round cookie cutter.
7. Brush tops with whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes at 375 F or until browned on tops.
I cut them in half and fill them with fresh whipped cream and Farmer's market strawberries and add a bit of toasted coconut on top.
They are as tasty as a Canadian summer.
What spells summer to you?
To me it is drinks on the deck, bbq in the backyard and mosquitos the size of small cars.
Canada I love you!