Making a great outfit doesn't need to be complicated. I've broken it down into six easy steps.
1. Start with one piece from your wardrobe that you love and build from there – I started off with the little wrap skirt.
2. Choose colors to compliment the piece you chose – The skirt is tweed in earth tones so I was able to match easily into some of the colors on the skirt with my sweater.
3. Keep it sleek – You'll notice that all of the colors underneath the coat are different complimentary shades of brown. This is an easy way of creating a lean silhouette, almost like dressing all in black but so much better because the different shades provide interest and texture while fooling the eye into thinking it's all one continuous block and making you look thinner.
4. Be aware of shape – The skirt is an A line which means it flares slightly at the hips. This is a flattering shape for almost all body types. Because the skirt flares it's good to have a fitted top creating balance between the upper and lower halves.
5. Details make the difference – Adding one or two accessories can really make your outfit sparkle. Since there are lovely details already on the skirt and the sweater I didn't want to add too much and only wore a bracelet.
6. Have a bit of fun – It's nice to add something a bit unexpected to the outfit to add a bit of panache. Since I stuck to one color underneath the coat I decided to pump up the volume with the faux animal print coat and red handbag. These last details are playful and fun and add a bit of the quirky style that I enjoy.
Coat – Anthropologie
Gloves – TJ Maxx
Boots – Saks 5th Ave
Skirt – Forever 21
Sweater – Ricki's
Handbag – Brooks Brothers