It's been a long time that I've been lusting after an Ikea closet to display my clothing/shoe collections. We bought this about a month ago and I am so happy that I can now see what I have as far as shoes go. I will need to save up some more $ so we can buy 2 more units so that I can move the rest of my dresses into our bedroom. Right now they occupy our guest room closet.
It has truly been liberating to clean up and organize all my treasures into one easily accessed area.
A couple of pointers I can give you about setting up a closet like this:
1. Bribe someone else to put it together for you. They aren't too difficult to put together, but I hate doing stuff like that with a passion. Thank you hubby! : )
2. Don't worry about buying doors. If you are able to keep everything very neat and well organized I think it looks great without doors.
3. Measure and count your shoes/boots prior to buying and setting up your shelves. You need to be sure that the shelves will be spaced wide enough apart to accommodate them and also that you will have enough shelves for the whole collection.
4. The drawers and box dividers within the drawers are a must. I had to go back to Ikea and get the drawers and dividers and then change the whole shelf configuration. It was worth it though. I can store tons in the drawers. I love how my accessories are organized now.
5. Consider rolling your t-shirts and or sweaters. I just rolled my t-shirts as they took up a whole drawer on their own. I need to go back and get another drawer for my sweaters. Doing this really helps me find what I'm looking for quickly and they don't wrinkle. When they are stacked I can't see what I have. This way I can see everything at a glance.
I organize everything according to colour and then style (the higher heels needed to be on the same shelf to fit).
Belts are rolled. Scarves are folded into squares. Watches are in one box, soft hats in another etc.
I love being organized! Now…if I could just get my office to look this good.