I’ve been seeing lots of monochrome looks in the magazines and at the fashion shows lately and they’ve started to grow on me.
Although it is hard for a colour and pattern obsessed freak such as myself to surrender to the idea of wearing the same colour from head to toe there are some obvious benefits;
– it makes you look taller and thinner. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
– it is easy to put together.
-it looks quite edgy, contemporary and chic.
4 Tips for mastering monochromatic style
- Mix your fabric textures. Leather, lace, wool, silk, cotton, sequins…each texture will add dimension to an otherwise flat single colour outfit.
- Mix shades of the same colour, lighter and darker versions (as I’ve shown in the grey outfit above).
- Adding subtle patterns (tone on tone) will create visual depth.
- Spotlight your favourite accessories such as statement jewellery. It’ll make the whole outfit pop.
I shopped my closet to put together some monochromatic looks for this week. The first one I’m calling Monochrome Meets Rock Star for obvious reasons.
This is a good example of mixing different textures in one outfit. Metallic, leather, faux fur and wool.
I was obsessed with metallic jeans last year. I wanted a pair so badly but every time I tried them on I didn’t look like the leggy thin chic person I’d envisioned in my head. Why is that? I spotted these metallic jeans while buying supplies for my Etsy shop and broke down and bought them. Bronze! I mean who owns metallic looking bronze jeans? The only one I knew of was this guy…
And his pants were leather… and maybe a bit more brownish and less bronze.
They are made out of this really weird super stretchy material and are actually quite comfortable. They do look like they have been painted on though and I’m happy that this sweater is longer in the back.
These pants aren’t for a wallflower…but clearly my flowers are on my wall…and I’m not one of them.
Look! Someone dressed like me at Milan Fashion Week.
Are you a fan of monochromatic style? Which outfit from the Polyvore sets did you like the best?
What about metallic pants? Yes…no…not in this lifetime.