Pattern camouflage confuses the eye making it difficult to notice convex and concave areas.
Case in point…this Anthro dress that I stumbled across at the Soho store on mega sale. I saw the frock on the hanger, jammed in with all the other dresses in the sales section, the only one of its kind remaining. The detailed pattern reminded me of needlepoint art.
The dress looked too small, but I was so enamoured with the pattern I figured I’d give it a go anyhow.
Although it is snug it doesn’t look too-too much like I’ve squeezed myself into a sausage casing.
Make no mistake…there will be no second helpings while wearing this dress.
The intricate details of the faux needlepoint pattern have magical belly smoothing and butt enhancing abilities. Even back bulges seems to smooth out a bit.
I stumbled across this fantastic “Matador” dress which left me drooling thinking that it too would have magical camouflage powers. I think Frida Kahlo would have looked amazing in it.
Here are some more examples of pattern camouflage that I’ve worn…
Floral jeans or pants
Floral and patterned maxi dresses
The pattern above is so oversized it reads more as a solid colour blocking to the eyes.
Well placed areas of solid colour, like in the maxi dress above give the eyes direction and break up the pattern and create the illusion of a very small waist (even though it is actually my ribcage).
Tips on how to pattern camouflage
1. Make sure the pattern is bold and detailed enough to work their camouflage magic.
2. Be wary of large patterns, they can sometimes make you look larger.
4. Tone on tone patterns are easier on the eyes.
5. Pay attention to the pattern. Does it accent the areas you want? Lines, curves, highlights and lowlights on patterns all direct the eyes and can create optical illusions such as in this gorgeous dress.
6. Negative space in patterns is important as it gives the eyes a place to rest and can also help direct the eyes to certain areas.
Do you like wearing bold intricate patterns? Have you ever tried to camouflage or enhance your body by using patterns?